Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Think I Can, I Think I Can

Every race has hills, and with this in mind (and to put my mind at ease) I went back to the elevation chart from my FIRST marathon to see what I ran then and how it compares to what I will be running on Sunday (yes, Sunday. Yes, THIS Sunday. Yes, 3 days from now. Yes.).

Please note the circled section of the chart all the way to the right. It takes a certain kind of evil to plan out a course that has a nearly 100 foot incline at the 26 mile mark. I’m sure I have mentioned it before, but it’s worth mentioning again - that they also put a water stop directly below this incline, removing any momentum you may have built up for that final hill. (Jerks.) I luckily did not fall for it.


A lot of the race in Alaska took place in the woods, and you were tunneled through foliage mile after mile (which I do truly enjoy, however), this time I will be running near the water, which should have spectacular views (fingers crossed it’s not too windy!) of the Bay and the city!

Now, Nike will be no cake walk - but all the major hills are toward the beginning. Miles 6-7 and 11 - 13 won’t be much fun, but I should be golden after that. You can also see the glorious 2 mile decline I spoke of before. Glorious…


I have also run worse. Please see the elevation from my 10 mile run a few weekends back. Ah, Wisconsin Avenue. You make me feel like I’m going to die when I run up you.

No comments:

Post a Comment